
Pretty impressive. I think this was the one that collapsed the (luckily, empty) greenhouse on the back of our property.
But, I digress. Here's a VERY brief snapshot of our winter highlights. My parents came out to North Carolina and finally got to celebrate Christmas at our place for the first time. They even managed to make it in the day before our first, of many, epic snowstorms of the season. I learned that my Dad is like the Energizer bunny when it comes to shoveling snow! And my Mom can make anything out of just about anything when it comes to food. Our little rural road didn't get plowed for 3 days, but luckily we have a 4-wheel drive truck. Needless to say, we had some pretty exciting and interesting trips to the grocery store to say the least.
In February, I got a chance to attend a conference at the Air Force Academy. Since it appears that I will have to 'retire'...yes, in the official sense too....Am I even allowed to say that? I'm waaaay too young for those words to cross my lips.....again, I digress. Since I am facing the last 18 months or so of military life, I decided to jump at the opportunity for one last "road trip" to the garden city of Colorado Springs. Okay, so Feb isn't the best sunbathing weather in CO, but it was very picturesque. I even had a couple of gobbling turkeys strolling by my hotel window one morning. Take notice! There is no snow on the ground in this picture!!

This winter also saw the passing of our beloved, albeit obnoxious, cat Alex. We adopted her from some church friends shortly after we got married and she's outlived 3 other pets of ours. Here she is after beauty-school dropout, Sarah, gave her a new look. In Sarah's defense, she was only 2 at the time and hadn't quite mastered the latest styling techniques.

Unfortunately, Alex's replacement showed up far too soon. Steve's brother had to change jobs this winter and found himself in an apartment that couldn't take pets, so we reluctantly took in Frank TEMPORARILY. (Here's hoping David still remembers our little deal!!)
Despite all the lingering snow and endless snow days, Spring finally arrived. Here's Sarah in front of our Cherry tree at Easter time. It surprises me every year at how eagerly I await those first daffodils and cherry blossoms to emerge.
Sarah is our resident artist and, under her wonderful art teacher's direction, comes home with treasures every week. We are going to have to add a cork wall to the house somewhere to accommodate all her priceless pieces. This one below was a self-portrait she made for Mother's Day....LOVE IT!
Also this Spring, I participated in my 'once-a-year' public plant sale to promote my mail-order business. (Growin' in the Mountains Plant Show & Sale at the WNC Farmer's Market) This year's show just happened to fall on the same weekend that our *ahem* esteemed President *ahem* decided to vacation in the area. Completely shut down traffic for the entire afternoon....and didn't help my stimulus efforts in the least. I'm just saying....
And here's a final shot of my 2 precious children. Sarah insists that if one wears the Mickey or Minnie pjs, the other one has to wear theirs to match. Maybe it helps her sleep better? Who knows.

So, where did that first grade year go? Good grief! That means she's a second grader this year. Yikes!
3 comments:
Yes--it's crazy how time flies. Just wait. I have a 9th and a 10th grader this year! Alex is gone--wow. Remember when he chased our rat Squeaky around the house? That was so funny! Our most recent rodent was Tad, a degu (from South America). He died last month. Frank has a face that kind of scares me. He looks like a man. BTW, thanks for your sweet comment on my blog this week. It means a lot to me.
Oh goodness, Squeaky! He was adorable, but the thing was the mouse would chase the cat. Alex didn't like that little rat one bit! Thanks for being such a great friend, Kristi.
Frank hates me.
Your blog makes me so happy though :)
Post a Comment